Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Fun(ny) House

When I was a newlywed and a young mother, I made many ambitious plans for how I would raise my children.  I planned to feed them only nutritional food, teach them to cook and clean, expose them to culture.  I uttered many wise statements like "I want my house to be the fun house.  That way my kid's friends will want to come over here, and I'll know who they're playing with and what they're doing."  Then, the real world set it.  

I still want all those things.  I just had no idea how yucky "nutritious" could be, how aggravating cooking and cleaning with kids could be, how expensive culture could be, how loud a fun house would be.  

Friday night, we had Austin,  (Tyler's friend) Teya (Emily's friend) and Joshua (Randy's friend) spend the night.  All three are wonderful kids and we love having them over.  (Really, parents, we do love having your kids over.)  But what was I thinking have everyone over at once?  Oh yeah.  I was thinking we could get our social obligations finished in one weekend.  And now, I'm not sure if we're the fun house anymore.  Austin and Joshua had to leave early on Saturday morning.  So we (gasp) actually put kids in bed at a relative early time.  They problem is they took me at my word about leaving early.  So everyone got UP early.  At dark-thirty in the morning, Jason and I were awakened by the pitter-patter of a herd of elephants above our heads.  Well, at least I know where they are, who they're with and what they're doing!

9 comments:

Jim said...

And the rewards will just keep coming! Glad you have a fun house and my grandkids are in such good hands (and the cleaning? well, just remember what's really important!)

Jim said...

Great picture of the kids.

Brooke said...

looks like a fun time! and I just love Lucy's expression

jason said...

You're the coolest Mom ever!

Tara said...

wow...another dog, letting 3 kids sleep over on the same night and cooking with Tyson...you sure are making the meanest mom ever thing easy to figure out! It was kinda funny...now I am just winning hands down! :) j/k
Austin had a great time...thanks for having him over! :)

Babs said...

I'll bet you do have quite the fun house! Fun can be loud, but it's still fun :)

Sorry, I noticed you'd been tagged recently, but I just tagged you again on my blog. Hope you're not getting "tag" overload.

The Katy Daileys said...

Funny story...I went from the Millers, to the Allreds, to someone I did not know (blog name: libyss.blogspot) and there on hers was the welkerzoo. It is such a small world. Now I know you have a blog! I love it. You are the fun house! You are awesome, Karen!

Cindi said...

No matter the aggravation the parents feel, it's all about the kids. The Fun House is the best house to have (be) because all the kids want to be were they feel welcome! I have the same goal - to be the fun house for my kids!

loriwelker said...

sounds like pure torture to me! Fun torture, but torture none-the-less.