Saturday, October 11, 2008

Comfort Zones

A couple of weeks ago, Emily and I were asked to go with the sister missionaries to teach a discussion to a girl Emily's age.  We were happy to help and just as excited to hear that Jennifer decided to be baptized.  That is until the sisters asked us to participate in the program- Emily to give a talk, and I to play the piano.

I've tried to keep my extremely limited piano "skills" a secret.  I know, I know, candle under a bushel and all that.  Look, I will give talks in Sacrament, lead music, or bake for a funeral.  I will clean the bathrooms in our building or for a sick sister.  I will serve with a smile in Nursery, Primary, Young Women's, Relief Society, even Cub Scouts.   But, I really don't like to play the piano in front of other people.  My fingers get sweaty- it's very hard to play the piano with sweaty fingers!  I lose my place in the music- all those notes start to swim around.  I freeze in the middle of a song- completely forgetting how to play at all. Those wrong notes (and I hit a lot of them) sound like they resonate and echo around the room.  Logically, I know my playing isn't quite as bad as I imagine.  But I'm not a very logical person.  Still, I try to make it a habit of assisting anyway I can and said I'd be "happy" to help.  

When I told Emily that Jennifer would like her to give a talk, she had the same expression on her face that I had when asked to play.  By nature, Emily is a quiet, reserved girl.  She doesn't seek a lot of attention to herself- unlike her mother.  She felt shy in the discussion when it was just the sisters, Jennifer and Jennifer's parents.  But lovely Emily still accepted and said she would give the talk.

While I practiced the songs Jennifer asked me to play- songs I didn't know- I wanted to call someone else and asked them to play for me.  I didn't want my mistakes to detract from the spirit of the baptism.  But I kept thinking of Emily, who got a little tearful when she felt overwhelmed at the idea of preparing and delivering a talk.  I was grateful that she had the opportunity of stretching her comfort zones, of accomplishing something difficult.  What kind of mother would I be- asking her to do something uncomfortable and then chickening out myself?

This morning, Emily gave an amazing talk on baptism.  It was beautiful in its simplicity and sincerity.  I stumbled my way through three songs.  But the Spirit was still there and the church is still true.  When the baptism was over, Emily admitted that she kind of enjoyed giving her talk, that it wasn't as bad as she thought.  I still hate playing the piano.  But I'm grateful that my daughter and I were both blessed with the chance to stretch and grow, just a little bit more.   

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Karen, I can completely relate to this! I have very limited piano skills too but they were more than anyone else for several occasions during my mission - mostly district mtgs, some baptisms, but even a couple zone mtgs where I was asked to play. It was so nerve-wracking and I was even playing out of the "hymns made easy" manual which is super simplified.

But - It got better as I went along and I actually enjoyed trying to work on that skill again. It's become a lot harder to find the time to do so now.

Kudos to both you and Emily

Cindi said...

Isn't amazing how our children bring us back to what's really important - setting the example and teaching. I am challenged everyday in teaching my Garhett how to step out of his comfort zone and that freaking out sometimes is okay, it helps us get through it. I knew the spirit would be there, cause when the group at the baptism heard your playing, they heard music from the angels. That is how Heavenly Father blesses us and makes us feel good, so that we'll do it again. Yes, you will play again. You did well on the mish and I am sure you still do well. I wish I had that talent. Love ya sis!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

I just love Emily! Thanks for sharing that great story with us too. It makes me look forward to having an older daughter to share these experiences with. Let me just say again that we LOVE Emily. You are very lucky to have such a cool kid- which I'm sure she is that way at least partly because she has such great parents.

p.s. I totally forgive you for the previous accusation. :)

jason said...

I have to confess that our music director in the ward might have heard from me how much you would benefit from (and ultimately enjoy) having a chance to help with some of the music in the ward. I know how painful it is for you, but I also know what a blessing it is for us to hear you practice. And, I'm as proud as I can be watching you play. I might be blind (and deaf?), but I still say you're the best!!

Babs said...

Oh I loved that story, I loved that Jennifer got baptized and I loved that you are still out teaching discussions. I'll bet the music and spoken word were both very effective and that it meant a lot for Jennifer to have you and Emily participate. Kudos to you both!