Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Flexibility!

No, this isn't a blog on yoga.  It's about gingerbread houses.  Duh.
We planned on making gingerbread houses right after we got home from our Thanksgiving trip.  I knew we would be busy, but all the kids were looking forward to it and I thought it would be fun.  One of Jason's favorite childhood holiday memories is going over to his Aunt Elaine's to build gingerbread houses with his cousins.  She made dozens of them every year.  
We told the kids we would build them "on Saturday," and then "next Friday."  But something always got in the way-  illnesses, football games, root canals, recitals, play-dates, shopping trips to Best Buy (Merry Christmas to us!!!)  Our kids, especially Emily, would be disappointed at each postponement.  I finally told her that I was trying to teach her "flexibility."  I don't think she bought it and probably thought it wouldn't happen this year.
Finally, today, each of our kids made their own gingerbread house, just like at Aunt Elaine's.  And I have the pictures to prove it!  Each of them designed their personal house.  I only assisted with adhesive application, which is hard for me because I tend to want to "Martha Stewart" it.  By holding back, I was able to glimpse each one's amazing imagination.  Our ledge between the kitchen and living room has a little village on it now.  (At least it does until Bullet figures out how to get to it.)  
We had a great time.  I even think Emily agreed it was worth the wait.

6 comments:

Castaneda 5 said...

Cute! It's hard not to go "Martha Stewart". Hahaha... they did a great job!

Brooke said...

looks like lots of fun. We've been thinking about you at Christmas, hope you and your kids enjoyed the day.

loriwelker said...

That's one of my fondest Christmas memories is going over to Aunt Elaines to decorate Gingerbread Houses. I don't have the patience to do it! :D

Susan said...

Those look really good! Did you use one of those kits? We cheated and made ours with graham crackers and they don't look nearly as pretty as yours!

Karen Scott Welker said...

No kits. We did it the hard way. Apparently, Aunt Elaine says we're making it harder than it needs to be and told us the right way to do it. So we'll try her way next year. She's the expert!

Merrells said...

I have tried it her way many time and it just doesn't turn out like hers. I agree thought that was one of the best things about Christmas was going to Aunt Elaines and making ginger bread houses. This was the first year we haven't made them....teenagers just get busier and busier. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Good times!