Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Rant, rant, rant

(Warning:  Karen is on her soap-box again.  Just pat her on the head and tell her that it will all be OK.)

Lucy and I had to go shopping at Wal-Mart this morning.  Something happened that has occurred frequently before.  I've made comments to employees, but it comes back over and over.  I called the manager this morning, and then wrote a letter to corporate headquarters.  Here's what I said . . .

This morning, my four-year-old daughter and I shopped at Wal-Mart #3226.  My children enjoy shopping with me and it is necessary that they accompany me when I need to do my errands.  As we walked into the electronics department, I was dismayed to see a number of large televisions displaying "The Dark Knight"- a PG-13 movie.  This is not a movie I would take any of my four children to see, since they are all younger than thirteen.  When my oldest son was four, he was traumatized by a scene depicting a decapitation he saw on a big screen at Sam's Club.  He had nightmares for weeks and didn't want to accompany me when I had to go shopping.  

I don't understand why Wal-Mart, a generally family friendly store, insists on showing inappropriately violent and graphic movies for all ages to see.  I understand that Wal-Mart wants to show the "latest and greatest" movies to advertise their products.  I've made comments to the employees before and they've always been kind and understanding. Today, I called the store to speak with a manager.  I was told that the choice of movies shown comes from "above".  

Wal-Mart should adopt a family friendly philosophy by only showing age-appropriate movies when advertising their televisions.  Frankly, some of the new animated movies will show off the amazing graphics of a new TV better than the ones you've been showing.  Right now, "Horton Hears a Who" is new and has amazing animation.  I know my daughter would insist we stop to watch, which would make me want to shop more, instead of speed-racing through the department so that she doesn't see anything violent.

I do most of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.  I am in a financial position to pay higher prices if it means protecting my children from disturbing images.  I will be speaking to my friends and family about our experience and will also be posting my opinion on my blog.  I will be happy to pass on any response from Wal-Mart corporate offices.  Please feel free to respond or call.

I don't know if this will do any good.  I'll be sure to post any response I get (or more likely, lack of response.)  I don't know if anyone else even feels the way I do.  If you do, I ask you to write a letter or make a phone call yourself.  

If you don't, would you mind running to Wal-Mart for me?

9 comments:

Cindi said...

I completely agree. Good for you to write a letter. Scott is a huge letter writer as well. You will have to keep us posted on the results. I shop at Wal-mart as well, more bang for my buck!

Tara said...

rant away...
I agree....you are so aware...I am not sure I would have thought to even say anything I would have just vented about it to Shawn! Or maybe I am not paying attention cuz I don't have kids with me as much anymore when I shop. Good for you for making your voice heard!! You are an inspiration!! :)

Jim said...

OK, I know where you got it from! what is the address? I will write because you are completely correct and I'm proud of you for making a stand. Mom

Karen Scott Welker said...

Aw, thanks, Mom! I left a comment on there customer service website (http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx)
but I think I'm also going to send them a physical letter.

702 SW 8th Street
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Castaneda 5 said...

Yeah, there is no excuse for that. There are plenty of kid friendly movies to display instead. I am a Wal mart fanatic! I go almost everyday, seriously! I will try to do my part and send a letter. Thanks for letting us know!

loriwelker said...

You'd think they would show family friendly movies at all times... what are they thinking showing garbage like that? I won't even go see that movie! it looks CREEPY! You are in the right to write a letter like that to Walmart! Maybe they will wake up to it if a whole bunch of other people do the same!!!

Brooke said...

good for you! I personally haven't noticed but then again, I have a kid that is just starting to notice this himself. Hope they send you a response

Susan said...

Go Karen! Mom's right, we get it from her. I have been known to make a few phone calls in my last few years as well, none on this particular subject, but still. That's so sad about Tyler (or was it Randy?) and his experience at Sam's! That's awful! There's no reason for it.

Susan said...

Oh, your eldest son, yeah, that would be Tyler! Good job Auntie Sue.