Monday, February 2, 2009

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines

Saturday was that day every Cub Scout loves- the Pinewood Derby.  Randy and Jason worked hard to produce a winning car.  OK, Jason worked hard, but Randy enjoyed painting his Megamatic-inspired theme.  Apparently, there was a great deal of symbolism involved that I didn't notice until he explained it to me.  On the front of the car was an "M" for Megamatic, and on the back was a "J" for Jaddle- Megamatic's nemesis.  Randy was confident it would be a winning car, because good always defeats evil and Megamatic would go down first.  (If you don't know who Megamatic is, don't feel like you are completely out of the superhero loop.  Megamatic is Randy's own made-up super-hero/imaginary friend.)

Because of my reputation as the "Meanest Mom Ever," I was given the position of "Track Bouncer."  My job was essentially to keep the kids away from the track.  I felt inspired at 2 AM and brought a roll of blue painter's tape.  Minutes before the racing started, I laid down the "blue line of death" about 3 feet away from the track.  Even without saying anything, most of the kids found seats on the far side of the line and it worked like a charm.

Randy's car did turn out to be a winner.  Out of the five boys in his den, he took first in every heat.  Jason and I tried to teach him how to be a "good winner" but he still had to strike the winner pose when his name was called.   Randy now qualifies to go to the District races.  But I think we are keeping that a big secret from him and we will end the 2009 season as winners.

Here's a short video of the exciting action:

4 comments:

Tara said...

I loved his winners pose!! He is awesome! :)

Cindi said...

I love pinewood derby! Congratulations Randy!

Brooke said...

I'm happy that Randy won! good for him - and nice for you too

Jim said...

My congratulations to Jason!! I know all about those pine wood derbys, our ward has one just for dad's so they can get all the competion they want. Great idea about the blue tape, glad it worked, and that you are a mean mom.