Monday, February 9, 2009

Potty Training

A couple of weeks ago, I needed to use the bathroom while visiting the library.  As I closed the stall door, I noticed a dollar bill taped beneath the coat hook.  On it was written, "Bless you with good health, joy, peace and prosperity."  It was probably no accident that the back of the bill was showing with the inscription "In God We Trust" displayed.  

I took those few moments of privacy to ponder who would go around taping money to public doors.  What kind of person- hopefully female- decides to do this?  How often does she do this?  Why?  She'll never know who received the cash or what they did with it.  What was her motivation?  What kind of reward does she hope to gain?  Then I started to wonder about the person I am.  Do I give without hope of recognition or reward?  Do I hope for other's well-being without knowing them?  Do I see a need and fill it?  I left the bill there, figuring someone needier than me would appreciate it.

A couple of days after the bathroom incident, I was walking across the parking lot to Wal-Mart, my home away from home.  I was concentrating on the things I had to get done and was barely registering who was around me, just enough so that I didn't walk into them.  A couple was walking in front of me.  I wouldn't have noticed them, except the man veered away from his companion and approached a middle-aged woman, unloading her haul.  Still sitting in the cart were three water bottles, the kind that you have to wrestle upside-down onto a dispenser.  The man asked the woman if he could help her get the bottles into her car.  I'll never forget the look of appreciation that flashed over her face.  I kept walking, but thought how wonderful that man was- to see a need and then to do something about it.  I determined I would do that too.

Yesterday, our family was sitting in the chapel waiting for Sacrament to start.  It was Scout Sunday, so several married men were asked to help pass.  Sis. M's infant daughter started to wail, but she didn't want to leave her three young children alone.  I must admit that I didn't even notice her plight until our Elder's Quorum President sat beside her and asked if he could sit with her kids.  That same look of gratitude flashed on Sis. M's face that I saw in the parking lot.  I felt ashamed that there was a need right in front of me that I missed.  Obviously, I have a lot more work to do in noticing the needs of people around me so that I can actually do something about it.

5 comments:

Cindi said...

Karen, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I think too often we forget to look around us because we are so consumed with our life and the things we need to get done. I appreciate your inspiration in sharing this. I get so consumed with my life with Emmett that I sometimes I think I use it as an excuse to be in my own bubble. I will also start to look at others around me and pay more attention to the spirit of giving and service. So thank you for sharing your feelings. Love you.

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Such a good thought- one that I have often. We (well, at least I do) tend to think selfishly most of the time. A few weeks back, I was wallowing in the 'how come no one every does anything for me?' when I was instantly hit with the answer. Right now, my job is to search out others to help- and it has been fun. Thanks for the reminder that there is service to be done all around us :)

Brooke said...

I have a weakness of not being as "aware" of things going on around me in general and am trying to work on that as well. Thanks for the inspiration

Anonymous said...

I think we all could use some potty training reminders! You are still one of my neatest and dearest friends! Love you,

Val said...

EQ Pres came to my rescue feeling guilty for having asked Jordan to help pass. :) Definitely appreciated though! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject...I often find myself thinking I have my own hands full, how could I be of help to others...yet, a lot of times it's the small things that make a big difference.