Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Elephant in the Room

Every day, Lucy asks me to play, and I try to devote a little bit of time and attention on her.  Today, I noticed there was something different about her.  Hmm, gasp, she has bangs now! "Lucy, you cut your hair!" I didn't yell, but the shock was definitely apparent in my voice.

"No, I didn't," she calmly replied.  "The pretend elephant did."  
Now, I must share a word on Lucy's pretend animals.  She has a zoo of pretend friends.  It's difficult to remember who's who, who's visiting the house at any given time, who can drive and who is allergic to peanut butter.  They've always been well-behaved and welcomed in our house.  Until now.  

I told her that her pretend friends were welcome in our house, as long as they obey our rules.  Anytime she has guests, she must insure that her friends- pretend or real- follow our family rules.  

"I know.  I told her that!"  It was hard not to laugh at her insistent face, and I knew she whole-heartedly believed what she was saying was true.  While bangs aren't my favorite, I'd heard worse hair-cutting horror stories and this was a style I could live with.  I figured I'd let it blow over and we'd make a trip to the salon this weekend.  But as she bent over to retrieve one of her toys, I noticed that bangs weren't all the elephant cut.
On the left side of her head, there was a strand of hair obviously absent.  This would not be a cut easily hidden.  We promptly ended our playing, washed her hair, and took off for the "hair-cutting store."

Lucy told her stylist- also Lucy- that she wanted short hair now, still insisting that the elephant was the culprit in this affair.  She was extremely excited for the results.  
That night, she went to a friend's house.  As she walked in the door, he asked Lucy if an elephant had really cut her hair.  (I'd already spouted to his mom.)  "No, I did it," she said.  "I just wanted my hair short."

And now my baby isn't my baby anymore.  She looks every bit as "big girl" as she tells me she is.  Which I guess I can live with.  But if that elephant tries anything else . . . 

10 comments:

Elise said...

Oh, I have been waiting for this since I saw your status on Facebook yesterday! What a funny girl you have. And she is just as beautiful with short hair as long!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

she did have such BEAUTIFUL long hair! i think it still looks nice... like you said, just be glad she didn't take a huge chunk out of the top- a 3 year old in our ward did it to herself and her 18 month old sister. they had frumpy boy hair cuts for months as it grew out!

Tara said...

I love little Lucy's imagination!!I think her hair is so cute...it really does make her look like a big girl! :)
That was the best last night...I didn't even get a "hello" in and she told me I just wanted short hair! :) {insert my giggling here}

about us said...

What an awesome story...We have bad haircutting stories at our house. In fact, a year later we are still in the growing out phase...oh well, it's just hair right!

Cindi said...

It's only hair. It will grow back. Lucy has the best imagination can't wait for her story writing in school. It's hard to let our babies grow up. She does look like a big girl. You were a good mom and understanding of her elephant who helped her to have short hair.

Susan said...

Didn't Aunt Susan JUST comment on how long and pretty Lucy's hair has gotten?! Oh, the irony! She's still pretty - it would take a whole lot of pretend animals to change that!

Castaneda 5 said...

cute story!

jason said...

Thanks for cursing our streak Susan!! :D

Brooke said...

she definitely does look older with that haircut. what an imagination!

Val said...

I love it. What a beautiful, funny and imaginative little girl you have! :)