Monday, January 26, 2009

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

"Sound of Music" is on our DVR and has been for a couple of months.  I love this movie and am looking forward to watching it.  I just haven't had a three hour block of time to just sit and enjoy.  Still, simply seeing the title is there- waiting for me- brings me great comfort and joy.  Watching good, classic, musical movies is one of my favorite things.  Here are a few more . . .

. . . The Genius Button- On iTunes.  Hear a song you like.  Hit the Genius button.  iTunes makes a whole new playlist from your library based on that one song. I've always enjoyed music, but quickly tire of hearing the same thing over and over again.  With this genius button, I hear songs I love, but forgot I love.  It's super simple to set a mood for reading and writing, or to inspire a dance party with your kids.  

 
. . . "Euro" Games- I use this term to refer to board games that originated overseas before immigrating over here.  Now I use it for any game I can't find at Walmart or Toys R Us.  My favorites are Settlers of Catan, BohnanzaTicket to Ride, Carcassone, and Race for the Galaxy.  Jason, Ty, Emily and I try to get at least one game in on a Sunday.  Randy loves to play games too.  His favorites are Book of Mormon Battles, any form of Uno, and Killer Bunnies- which I haven't decided if I like or not yet.  I feel like my game closet is the only organized closet in the house.  I go berserk when kids get in there and I find pieces all over the floor.  

. . . Rain-  Even though Houston has never been threatened by drought since we've moved here, I still sigh with relieved gratitude when it rains.  I think this must come from living in the Sonora Desert for 15 long, dry years.  Since moving here in 2001, you would think I would have become accustomed to the plentiful precipitation.  But I still feel giddy when rain is in the forecast.  Especially if I get to stay home and bake cookies.  Rain and cookies just go together.  (Hmmmm, maybe that's why I like rain so much.)

. . . Zoe Keating- First of all, the cello is the most amazing musical instrument ever.  Yes, I listen to Yo-Yo Ma, but this is a completely original sound.  She "layers" tracks of cello on top of each other, much like KD Tunstall does with the acoustic guitar.  I discovered Zoe while listening to Radio Lab, my favorite podcast.  Listening to Zoe transports me to a new place- a relaxing, reviving, rejuvenating place.  

So, yes, a perfect day for me is a rainy day playing games with my family, listening to a Zoe Keating inspired Genius list.   

And, hopefully, eating some cookies.  

4 comments:

Susan said...

Caroline and I love the Sound of Music too! It's so cute when she tries to sing "Auf wiedersehen, good Ni-HITE!"
And I love those games too! Ticket to Ride is a favorite and I like Settlers too, Dave likes them when he wins!

Elise said...

Oooh, you have some good favorite things. I didn't know about the Genius Button, I have been enjoying Pandora though and it sounds very similar. And the games and the music...Yes, you have excellent taste if I do say so myself!

Cindi said...

I too love the Sound of Music. Thankfully, my kids do too so I get to enjoy it piece by piece, because I don't have 3 unassigned hours either.

TFATDHQ said...

Zoe is AMAZING - great post