Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New New Year's Tradition

I agree with my brother, Robert (Yeah!  He has a blog!) about New Year's resolutions.  Why wait for a certain calendar day to make changes in your life?  But I don't think I am hypocritical using the start of a new year to start a new tradition.  At the breakfast table, I interviewed each kid to see what's the same and different about them.  We'll do this every year to chart some of the changes they've made as they grow up (way too quickly, for my taste!)  Of course, the kids wanted to know about Jason and me,too.  So here are the results, along with some embarrassing pictures, to keep things interesting.
Tyler-
Favorite Breakfast- Life cereal
Favorite Lunch- Pizza
Favorite Dinner- Ribs
Favorite color- Green
Favorite TV show- "Old" Fairly Odd Parents
Favorite Book from 2008- "Science Fair" by Dave Barry and Ridley Scott
Favorite Fun Thing to Do- Play video games
If Ty had $1,000,000, he would . . . "carefully plan out and buy the small things in life."  (After some clarifying questions, Ty said he wouldn't buy any one big thing just a lot of little things, like video games.)
Best Friend- Austin F.
Best Part of School- Lunch
Worst Part of School- English ("Not my least favorite teacher, though.")
Emily-
Favorite Breakfast- Hashbrowns
Favorite Lunch- Burritos or Tostados
Favorite Dinner- Ribs, Potato Soup, Salad, Steak or Bratwurst
Favorite color- Black
Favorite TV Show- "Anything I can watch with Mom and Dad."  (Bizarre Foods, Game Shows and AFV)
Favorite Book-  She couldn't decide.  Em will read anything and everything.  Her favorites are anything funny or mysterious.  Or mysteriously funny.
Favorite Fun Thing to Do- Play any Animal Crossing video game and "CRAFTS!"
If Emily had $1,000,000, she would . . . go to Disney World, buy video games, crafts, WebKinz, BellaSara cards and "save the rest."
Best Friend(s)- Teya M, Katie D, and Emma P
Best Part of School- Math and Music
Worst Part of School- Science, Social Studies and (!) Reading
Randy-
Favorite Breakfast- Muffins ("Not blueberry")and French Toast
Favorite Lunch- (He couldn't think of anything "favorite" for lunch.)
Favorite Dinner-  Pizza
 and Root Beer
Favorite Color- Red (His favorite color has been purple for years, until he changed it a month ago.)
Favorite TV Show- Any game show
Favorite Book- Comic and joke books
Favorite Fun Thing to Do- Wii, Computer and Video Games
If Randy had $1,000,000 he would . . . "buy Galgammon (Digimon) and a boxing sandbag."
Best Friend- Joshua T
Best Part of School- Math
Worst Part of School-  Science
Lucy- 
Favorite Breakfast- French Toast (with no crusts)
Favorite Lunch- Waffles
Favorite Dinner- Cocoa Krispies (Sense a trend?  And, no, she doesn't eat cereal for dinner.  Very often.)
Favorite color- Pink
Favorite TV show- Tom and Jerry
Favorite Book- "Princess" books
Favorite Fun Thing to Do- "Playing on preschool swings"
If Lucy had $1,000,000, she would . . . "get a camera."
Best Friend- Lydia D
Best Part of School- Puppets
Worst Part of School-  Rest Time
Jason-
Favorite Breakfast- "Homemade Yeast Waffles"
Favorite Lunch- Leftover meatloaf
Favorite Dinner- Meatloaf, Chicken Parmesan, Orange Chicken and Ribs
Favorite Color- Dark Blue
Favorite TV Show- The Office, Life
Favorite Book- "The Book of Mormon, of course," Byzantium by Stephen R. Lawhead
Favorite Fun Thing to Do- Play board games with the family
If Jason had $1,000,000, he would . . . ("Buy a fur coat, but not a real fur coat.  That's cruel.")  Pay off debt and save the rest.  Maybe go back to school.
Best Friend- Karen W
Best Thing about Work- Friday afternoon and a paycheck
Worst Thing about Work- "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning." Stress and uncertainty

Karen- 
Favorite Breakfast- Waffles
Favorite Lunch- Leftovers
Favorite Dinner- Date Night with my husband
Favorite color- Chocolate Brown
Favorite TV Show- The Office, Life and (yes, I'm a geek) Top Gear (on BBC-America)
Favorite Book of 2008- "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom (read again for the zillionth time)
Favorite Fun Thing to Do- Date Night, Crochet and watch TV, play board games
If Karen had $1,000,000, she would . . . buy Jason a motorcycle, take family on cool annual vacations and pay off debt. (In that order!)
Best Friend- Jason W
Best Part of Job- Flexibility
Worst Part of Job- Never "finished"- laundry, dishes, dinner,etc.

And I have too many embarrassing pictures to post.  But here's a pretty embarrassing video of my musical talents.

10 comments:

Tara said...

What a super fun...super great idea!! I love the answers! I think I will totally steal that one from you!! I have to say the video shows no "mean mom" qualities at all...you are not making a good name for yourself being so nice to your kids!!
**a sidenote...we just love Tyler (well all your kids) but Ty is Austin's best friend too and it just makes my heart happy to know that he has a bud!

Rachelle said...

Love reading your blog. You keep it very interesting. This blog thing is great.
Rachelle

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Love the interviews! I am very curious about these famous waffles... are they the test kitchen recipe?

I agree with Jason's million dollar response almost exactly. Now that song is going to be in my head ALL DAY!

Thanks for blogging you family for all of us :)

Anonymous said...

How fun is that! I am glad you are best friends with your hubby! Very important! I wish yiu were here for book club too! I loved the Goose Girl too! I am reading her other books too. What is the Hiding Place?

Cindi said...

That's a great new tradition to start. Everyone has some fun answers.

Jim said...

Just finished reading the Hiding Place, thanks for recommending it, I loved it. Glad you are blogging again, I missed you!

Castaneda 5 said...

You are full of cool family traditions! So Lucy is a breakfast lover, huh?! Sounds like Gabby. She calls every meal breakfast and all the kids love when mom doesn't know what to make so I break out the pancakes and do breakfst for dinner!

Susan said...

I loved hearing my nieces and nephews interviews and now I'll look forward to it every year! We have a few "slurburt" videos in our family archives as well. They're my favorite!

jason said...

Thanks Karen! I liked this blog a lot, except it sounds like I'm a meatloaf fanatic?

By the way, I think your Lucy-phone skills are excellent.

Harmony said...

I'm glad I found your e-mail address. It's fun to catch up with you. Amazing how much we have in common--I'm thinking of your stay-at-home mom post in particular. :-) Have a great 2009!