Sunday, January 18, 2009

Chili?

(Mom, don't laugh too hard when you read this.)

My amazing in-laws gave me a cook book for Christmas.  No, they weren't dropping hints.  They know I love Cook's Illustrated's cook books and that I didn't have "The Best Make-Ahead Recipe" yet.  (I now own eleven of their books.  I think I may have an obsession.)  

I loooooooooooooove this cook book.  And here's why.  On Christmas morning, we ate sticky buns that I had prepared three days earlier and froze.  Take them out of the freezer, stick in oven, eat.  I didn't know you could do that!  A couple of days later, I made some rolls.  We ate some that night, but the rest went into the freezer.  Now I can have hot and fresh homemade rolls in twenty minutes.  Heaven!!!

But my infatuation was complete when I decided to make chili.  This cookbook tells you how to make this recipe for 20!  When I added the final ingredient and set it to simmering, a weird, giddy sensation came over me and I started to giggle.  It was so beautiful and smelled unbelievable.  I had to grab the camera.  
I now have an extra lasagna, two meals of tortilla soup and chili in my freezer along with the rolls.  I have a strangely satisfying sensation when I open it and see tons of meals all ready prepared and waiting for those days when I just can't bring myself to cook.  But I'm having so much fun, I don't know when that day will be.  

(This picture is of what we had after I took some chili to a family for compassionate service and we ate our own dinner- three more suppers and two lunches!  Woo-hoo!)

8 comments:

Castaneda 5 said...

Oh, so I know where to come on the many nights when I don't have a clue what I'm making!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

just put the book on reserve at the library- we are very intrigued! i love having meals in the freezer so much that we plan to buy a big freezer for the garage with our tax return. :) our last bishop actually counseled us to always have two meals in the freezer to be used for ourselves in need or to be used for service. i took that advice to heart, and have been very blessed. i hope to perfect this meal freezing while i still have only 3 mouths to feed so that i will be a pro by the time our family doubles. thanks for the recommendation!

Anonymous said...

I will have to look for that book. I started freezing meals about a year ago. I have used this dream dinners one quite a bit if you are looking for another one.
http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Dinners-Dinnertime-Assemble-Freeze/dp/0060784229/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232511882&sr=8-1
Wendy Pang

Brooke said...

I'm very impressed Karen! I love the idea of freezing dinners too and I do it off and on... I wish I had the same enthusiasm that you did! Maybe I'll have to check out this cookbook as well

Jim said...

I'm not laughing, I'm jealous. I have such good intentions, but...well, you know. I would love your recipes for sticky buns, and tortilla soup. Love ya, Mom

Susan said...

Hooray for freezer dinners! I have just discovered the their wonderful benefits. I've done two freezer dinner exchanges since we've moved here! Make a whole bunch of one meal and walk away with several different meals! Love it!

Cindi said...

Oh my gosh! That is awesome. I need that cook book cause lately I am having more of those days that I am too exhausted by the time I get home to cook. If I don't get it in the crock pot or have an idea of what we are having in the am before I start running for the day then I am hopeless and unmotivated in the evening. Thanks for the great idea! I too want to be giddy again about cooking dinner!!

slcver said...

I love to cook! I know the feeling! I need to get this book, thanks for sharing.
-Stacy Woodward