Monday, September 15, 2008

How to Survive Post-Hurricane (or When Does School Start Again?)

Life has almost returned back to normal for the Welker's only two days after Hurricane Ike visited the neighborhood.  We have electricity and cell phone service again.  School won't resume until next Monday.  So, how do I entertain four children until I can kick them out of the house again?
Some observations I've made today.  
1.  You can't take your kids to the park (muddy and filled with tree-limbs and other debris) or the movies (closed and nothing good on anyway), but I could get a massage or pedicure at the mall (both open!)  Hmmm.
2.  Wal-mart is open again!  Only you can't buy anything cold- juice, meat, dairy, etc.  They did have milk and beer available though.  No produce of any kind, but the candy aisle is fully stocked.  Still plenty of sardines and spinach available.  Hmmm.
3.  Eventually, even the computer, Nintendo DS, Wii and TV become boring.   Hmmm.
4.  We are abundantly blessed.  We drive by people cleaning out yards, mending fences, throwing out carpet and furniture.  And I'm complaining of bored kids and lack of groceries.  Hmmm. 

4 comments:

jason said...

Karen - Thanks for blogging this! I love your writing and SO glad you started doing it again.

Your biggest fan,
Jason

Brooke said...

So glad you guys are ok! We've been thinking about you too and it's interesting to hear about what you have had to deal with. Love you all!

Susan said...

So glad you are all safe - I bugged mom several times with "Have you heard from them yet?!!" phone calls!

I agree with Jason - I also love to read your writing. I remember a few years ago you emailed a short piece you wrote on family and motherhood. (It started out with an anecdote about some women asking you if Lucy was your first child in the grocery store) I was so impressed that I printed it out and had my coworkers read it! (hope you don't mind!)

Oh, and as long as Walmart's got your beer and sardines stocked - you're good right?!

Karen Scott Welker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.