Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Adventures in the Kitchen



I think every mother frets about the food their children eat.  Randy is our worst eater, who shuns any type of vegetable or meat- except pepperoni and bacon, of course.  Lucy has just started her picky-eater stage and is trying to make up for lost time.  Emily and Ty make some healthy choices, but it is impossible to put dinner on the table that everyone likes.  I am trying out two books in an effort to get some kind of nutrition into my children's bodies.
1.  Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld   My sister recommended this to me.  Seinfeld (yes, wife of Jerry) purees vegetables, then adds them to foods she knows her family will eat.  We've tried spinach on pizza, sweet potatoes in pancakes, waffles and muffins and brownies with spinach and carrots in it.  Randy chows on the pizza and breakfast items.  In fact, no one bats an eye at the muffins or pancakes and I actually think they taste better.  The pizza was good, except I over-cooked them and didn't disguise the spinach well enough.  Tyler saw it and balked, claiming it tasted "bitter".  I also added sweet potatoes to oatmeal, but everyone could taste that.  I think oatmeal is healthy enough and will leave that alone.  The brownies?  Gross.  I don't even like it.  I'm not crazy about the recipes in her book, but love the ideas and what I've learned from it.  I plan on trying a couple more and will report back.
2.  Eat This, Not That! for Kids! by David Zinczenko  This is a great book to sit down with your kids and discuss good food choices.  They pages are very colorful and fun to read with a kid tucked under your arm.  My favorite part is about foods to choose or avoid when out to eat at a restaurant or fast food.  Very interesting!  I use this book so that I'm not such a bad guy about what we should and shouldn't eat.  We've started following the rule they suggest:  Ask permission to eat a snack, unless its a fruit or vegetable- or an hour before dinner!  (Now if only we could get some produce in stock at the stores . . . )

So, what do you do to feed your kids?

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Karen - love your blog! I have tried "Deceptively Delicious" as well. I made the Quesadillas, the cheese sticks, the mac and cheese and can't remember what else. The cheese sticks weren't exactly sticks and Joe/Brandon weren't big fans of any of the recipes. So I abandoned it for now (checked the book out at the library) but I too like the idea and might revisit it later.

Will have to check out that other book you recommended. Brandon's diet is not great at all and it'sw a constant battle to encourage him to eat better; Caleb's is perfect for now, but he hasn't discovered real food or sweets yet, so I'm hoping to set a better precedent this time.

Heather (wife, mom) said...

So you're finally blogging- YIPPEE! I am always telling David that we need to eat better everyday so as to set a good example for our kids, but it's hard! He just is not a big fan of vegetables (he claims its because your mom only served gross frozen ones- whatever, I don't believe him). I have a fantastic spaghetti sauce recipe with spinach and everyone that tries it loves it- so I am very interested in slipping that stuff in so husband/kids don't even know.
I love that Brooke wrote Joe/Brandon because that is exactly how I feel. If the dad won't eat it, we can't expect the kids too. Agggh! The daily struggles of mothers.... it's a fun game, huh?!

Cindi said...

Sounds interesting! I am not worried about my kids eating it - I am more worried about me and Scott. Maybe I should then we would be healthier!

Great blog! I love blogging, didn't think I would, but I do. So I am blogging now instead of being out on Facebook as much. LOL!