Wednesday, September 24, 2008

3rd Grade- Great!


Last year, I programmed all of the phone numbers from my kids' schools and teachers with a horribly obnoxious ring-tone.  It sounds like someone is trying to break into a bank vault.  I jump every time I hear it.  Partly because it's loud, but mostly because I'm about to find out which kid threw up, forgot his/her homework or hit a teacher with a chair (all phone calls I've actually received.) 

Today, the "alarm" went off while I was in a Presidency meeting.  I'd already ignored two calls (I was popular today), but I jumped up and left the room, mumbling something about my kids. When I answered the phone, Randy cheerfully said, "Hi, Mom!"  His teacher had allowed him to call when he got an "A+" on his math test.  He was so excited to share his accomplishment.  I lavished tons of praise on him and he cheerfully said good-bye.  

I was grateful for this call for a couple of reasons.  First, Randy loves to report "good news".  I am so thankful his teachers encourage him to share his successes with me throughout the day.  Secondly, he is doing remarkably well this year.  Mrs. Hendrickson- one of his teachers from last year- would warn me not to jinx him, because his behavior would head down-hill as soon as we mentioned how good he's been.  But, I think I've learned a lot about Randy's needs in the past years.  My commitment to consistency and rewards are set in stone.  I feel that his teachers are attentive to his needs and are receptive to the lessons his previous teachers and I have learned in the past.  

I am constantly amazed at the wonderful staff that we've found at Diane Winborn Elementary.  As in years past, his teachers this year have been phenomenal.  Randy is the kind of kid that might need a little more attention and work.  But hopefully, his teachers will be won over by everything that guy has to offer.  

Thanks, Mrs. Hamilton, Mrs. Babcock, Mrs. Byrd, Mrs. Hendrickson, Mrs. Sosa, Ms. Ricks and the countless other teachers, aides, therapists and bus drivers that help Randy on a daily basis! We owe so much to all of you!  

4 comments:

Susan said...

That's so great that she recognized the importance of letting him call you. At first I wasn't sure what was so great about Texas schools that was keeping you so far away, but the closer I get to putting Caroline in school, the more I realize how different schools can be and what a huge effect that has!

jason said...

Wonderful post, Karen. I, too, am thankful for such amazing teachers. Echoing Susan - you don't realize the difference/importance of getting in the right schools and being with the right teachers until you have kids attending them.

Susan - our elementary school was ranked in the top 3% in Texas. It's wonderful!

Tara said...

way to go Randy!!! :)
Don't we love wonderful teachers!!!

Brooke said...

Randy is such a great kid. Good for him!