Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dunk'd

Our stake hosts an 11-year-old day at Girl's Camp every year. This is a chance for all those who are too young to attend camp to sneak a peek at what's in store for them. I volunteered- enthusiastically, actually- to drive the four girls from our ward- my daughter, two of her good friends and a girl who had just moved into the ward. It was early in the morning when we left and the trip was unusually quiet on the way up. The quiet didn't last long, though.
At camp, they toured the facility, ate lunch, swam in the pool, did crafts and went canoeing. All of the girls had been told to bring swimsuits and towels in anticipation for these events. I, however, did not, figuring I'd be the official photographer.
This was not to be. Apparently, every canoe needs an adult- seaworthy or not. And the camp committee had counted me as one of those adults. If I didn't canoe, some of the girls wouldn't get a turn. Not wanting to spoil the fun, I stepped up to my responsibility. I warned the girls that I didn't come prepared for a swim and that we would have to canoe carefully. I'm sure you have already figured out how this story ended. Yes, the canoe tipped and everyone went in. The girls loved swimming around. Me? I am still shuddering when I think about stepping on the bottom of the lake, ankle-deep in gunk and muck. Nasty. I was wearing my nice, cool tan capris for the day, which happened to be pretty transparent when wet.
Apparently, not very good swim attire.

On the way home, the girls sang all the silly camp songs they'd learned and giggled. I think in just a few hours, they had captured the spirit of Girl's Camp- mostly just forming and cementing friendships, singing a lot and giggling even more. It was wonderful for them to get a taste of what they are in store for next year. They are all really excited to go for the real deal.
And, yes, I'd like to go again too, even if I have to canoe.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I can't believe Emily is almost a Beehive! Sounds like fun overall - good thing you are such a good sport and that place you went looks beautiful!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Wow- that camp sounds awesome! I wish we could have canoed at Girls Camp.... What fun for Emily and you. :)

Jim said...

What a great idea to introduce the 11 year olds to camp. So, are you going to be a "camp Mom?" I loved my years at camp as an adult more than I did as a teenager. Good for Emily, she really is growing up fast

Harmony said...

Fantastic idea! I loved Girls' Camp and can't wait to go back as a leader. I hope they'll let this mom of all boys do that someday. :-)