Friday, July 24, 2009

Short people

(Disclaimer: I realize that there are quite a few Lucy posts in my blog. For that, I apologize. I don't love Lucy more than my other three kids. There just isn't much blog-worthiness to video game playing or TV watching, which is pretty much all they've done this summer.)

Yesterday, while Lucy and Randy were off playing their own electronic games, Ty, Emily and I sat down to watch a Harry Potter movie. Attracted to the noise, Lucy came to investigate the fun we were having without her. She looked at the TV and asked, "Is this the kind of movie that gives nightmares to short people?"

That's when I realized that was how she viewed herself. She's not young or little, just short. She sees herself as our equals in every way, except she needs her "ladder" (ie: step-stool) to reach things. She understands that this vertically challenged situation will be rectified eventually. Until then, she reminds us daily that any differences we may think we see are figments of our imagination. We may put her to bed early, but she will not fall asleep before we do, and is down-stairs constantly to remind us that she is still awake. She needs no help from parents or siblings when getting dressed, combing hair, playing games or anything else for that matter. She realizes her spelling skills are weak, but figures a couple of weeks of kindergarten will fix that.

I love this little, sorry, SHORT person. She is creative and intelligent. She is stubborn and head-strong. She breaks into sobs and laughter effortlessly, often one right after the other. She is funny and extremely clever. I have to tread carefully however, because she becomes very perturbed when I laugh at the things she says. She makes it tough, though. For instance. . .

. . . This morning, Tyler and Lucy were playing their "Do-you-love-me?" game. Some background- when Lucy was really little, much shorter, we would ask her if she loved various people in the family. She said "yes" to everyone, except Tyler. He would pout and she would laugh. That has always been their special game. Today, Ty was going through the family and he got to me.

Ty: Do you love Mommy?
Lucy: No.
Ty: You don't?!
Lucy: (sigh) No, Daddy is the only parent I love. Because he's hot.

OK, how do you not laugh at that?

9 comments:

Castaneda 5 said...

Oh don't you just love the things they say! Adrian taught Isabel to say I was hot too. Crazy kids!

Harmony said...

Why does it make me feel better that my kids aren't the only ones playing video games and watching TV non-stop?!

Harmony said...

Here's a classic King's Singers song that I thought of when I saw the title of your post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANIj1wfMuK4

Brooke said...

she is so funny! Keep these posts coming. Lucy really is a BIG personality in a small body.

Anonymous said...

Just precious! Cannnot wait to meet her!

Salty Incisor said...

the funny things they say. I liked the one about Harry Potter the best. Aren't you moving out of the country or are you already out?

Salty Incisor said...

nevermind I just got caught up and see you changed your minds

loriwelker said...

Such a thing Miss Lucy would say too. Did you ever happen to post what she said about the S'mores????

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'll be thinking of YOU! Those kids are so lucky to have you as a seminary teacher.

Lucy, my goodness she has grown! Randy--at alien food??? Wow. Daniel will eat off a menu, but it's always exactly the same thing no matter what restaurant.

love to all,

kerry