Monday, July 20, 2009

Fourth Fun

Every year, my family gathers in Sierra Vista, AZ to celebrate Independence Day. It's evolved into a really big deal. They start with golf and a visit to The Cove- an indoor wave pool with slides, hot tub and diving boards. Then they head to the Youth Center that they've rented for their private party. They eat, play pool, foos-ball, ping-pong, air hockey and eat some more. The party is complete with Sierra Vista's fireworks show- the "largest fireworks display in Southern Arizona."

Every year, I'm jealous.

But this year, we trekked from hot, humid Houston to hot, dry Arizona. Our 4th of July was tons of fun. I asked my kids about their favorite part of the day. Lucy said she loved eating. She ate a hamburger bun and soda. Yum. Randy liked playing pool. Emily and Tyler loved the fireworks. Jason and I agreed that the best part was being with family. Every time I looked up for a head-count, my kids were with different cousins, aunts, uncles or grandparents.

We had perfect weather, perfect fun, perfect (practically) family. The only thing that would have made our holiday positively perfect was to have Robert's family, Susan's husband and my youngest brother -who's in Basic Training, right now- join us.

Maybe next year?

(What?! No pictures?! Actually, we took way too many. Click here to "oooh" and "aaaah" our slide show.)

6 comments:

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Love love LOVE the slide show, and I'm glad that there is not too much of me in it. Thanks! We were all so glad to have you, and hope that it stays a tradition for you to join all of us 'locals'. Love-

Cindi said...

That was a great slide show! Looks like you had tons of fun!!! Another blessing for not taking the trek to Singapore. Family is the best and you have lots of it!!

Susan said...

We loved the slideshow too!
I have to agree that it was a near-perfect holiday! I love that our kids love each other and their Aunts and Uncles. (Tyler might think his little cousin Caroline loves him too much:) The picture of Brandon peeking over Randy's shoulder speaks volumes. I think all the little ones look up to your kids and think they are totally cool.

Harmony said...

I've been to Sierra Vista in July. I have to say that being with family is the only reason I can think of to visit there in the middle of the summer!

Melanie said...

SOO jealous! We will be there for one those someday....

Brooke said...

Karen, your slideshow was AWESOME! Your family is the best! Even though you're far away I love that you come frequently enough and spend enough quality time that my 4yr old knows all of your kids by name and loves to play with them! We love you all so much