Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Day of School

Monday was FINALLY the first day of school. Lucy was the only one thought the "finally." We are all usually ready for school to start, but this year, all of us wanted one or two more weeks of summer.

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to teach early morning Seminary for our ward. I enthusiastically accepted the calling. I am teaching Book of Mormon again. While I am extremely excited, I wish I had a couple more weeks to prepare. My first day of Seminary was my kids' first day of school too.

Sadly, Tyler and Emily (Yes, Emily is in Junior High!) leave for school before I get home. So I didn't get to take pictures of their first day. Emily was a little worried about the locker and finding her way in that huge school. She is very excited to have the same lunch period with her best buddy and loves her first period- Theater Arts. Tyler is king of cool- a vet at this whole Junior High scene. His favorite class so far is Elements (?) which is a PE course, where they don't dress out. I'm not sure how it works but he thinks his teacher is great.

Randy was not at all excited to go back to school. After all, he's now in 4th grade- notorious for the oppressive amounts of homework required. However, once he returned for his "Meet-the-Teacher" Night, he was all grins. He knows everyone in that school- kids, administrators, teachers of all grades. He was dismayed to find out that "Michael" (names have been changed to protect the innocent) is in his class this year. He and Michael were in the same preschool program and there had been a fighting incident that year. Randy said, "Oh, no. My nemesis." We talked to him about how long ago that fight happened and that Michael could be a nice kid now. After the second day, Randy told me that he had asked Michael for "forgiveness." And so far, there has been no homework, so 4th grade has been OK. So far.

Lucy thinks Kindergarten is "AWESOME!" She has been visiting that school since she was 3 weeks old and she is so excited to finally be an Eagle. Unlike Randy, she was thrilled to finally have real homework to do. She ran to the table to start it. Although, she's only been in school 3 days, it seems she has grown up so much. Parents were allowed to walk their kids to their classes the first 3 days of school. On the 2nd day, Lucy told me that I could drop her off at the door like the rest of the kids. Apparently, she got lost. As she was telling me what happened, the tears started up again, but she fought desperately to maintain some emotional control. And she was perfectly fine being dropped at the door the next day, all grins as she skipped into the doors.

I think it's going to be a great year.

8 comments:

Castaneda 5 said...

Glad they had a good first day!

Brooke said...

Oh Karen, I just love your kids! I feel like I can just hear the comments they were making. Good luck with the schoolyear and teaching seminary!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

i went to early morning seminary all four years- sounds like A LOT of work for the teacher. i'm sure you'll do great!
i can't wait to hear more about Lucy's adventures in Kindergarten-- her teacher is lucky to have such an awesome little girl in her class.

Jim said...

So, another school year begins, and you will all do great. Thanks for the pictures, they looked prepared, would love a picture of Emily and Tyler even if it isn't the "first" day!

Anonymous said...

Seminary. WOW. Michael did that one year. I am kinda glad I have no kids in school yet. Still summer for us!

Susan said...

I love that Randy asked his classmate for forgiveness. I would like to have been a fly on the wall for that one - what was "Michael"s reaction?! So it sounds like you've got a good set-up: you teach early morning seminary and now all your children are in school, so you can take a nap when they leave! Oh, and you didn't say how YOU felt about your youngest going to kindergarten! Cartwheels or tears from mom?

Jill said...

This will come oh so soon! I was thrilled to hear that you are teaching seminary--lucky seminary kids! I look forward to hearing more about the school year...I love mom's memoirs!

loriwelker said...

WOW! YAY! Lucy is in school now! I'm glad they are doing well in school (so far). we've had a rough 3 weeks in our house with david being in middle school now and it being SOOOO overwhelming. And it's also overwhelming to danny as well.