Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Yeah . . . I'm showing off . . .


. . . again.

These are my latest projects. (Actually, crochet is just my excuse to watch TV.)
All of my kids know have afghans of their own. This is Randy's.
After I fell in love with crochet, I found amigurumi- or "crocheted stuffed doll." There are tons of free patterns on-line and now all of the kids have one of their own. I finished Randy's elephant on our road trip to my grandmother's funeral. He couldn't find it for a picture, but he's holding it in his hand in the last picture of this post. "Sam" can always be found when Randy really needs him.

I made a "Flixie" for Emily. This is a character from the book that she is writing. A flixie is a fairy with a cat's body. You can't tell in this picture, but the flixie I made has wings and a sparkly black dress. Tyler wanted a dog and I was surprised that a 14-year-old still wanted a stuffed animal from his mom.
Lucy still loves her giraffe- Leafy. This was the first amigurumi I'd made and I can see tons of mistakes. Thankfully, she loves him in spite of his faults.
My next project is something for me. And Jason has already put in his order for his own blanket. I'm going to be one of those little old ladies who dies with a closet full of yarn.

5 comments:

Val said...

Love it! You have a hobby that you love AND you're good at!

PS- Also love that color on your wall in the background of those pics...what is it?

Elise said...

Val said what I was gonna say!-I love it! They are awesome. How would you feel about sharing and/or teaching that talent to some young ladies I know?
And I want to be one of those little old ladies who dies with a closet full of fabric.

Karen Scott Welker said...

Val- Ah, thanks. Jason calls that color "Puke Pumpkin." Behr calls it "Sesame Crunch."

Elise- Ah, thanks, too. I'd be happy to come "share" with some awesome young ladies. I'm not sure what they'd come away with, but it would be fun to share my latest passion.

loriwelker said...

Very good job Karen!!!!! nice hobby!!!! I doubt I could with my "bum wrist" lol thats my doctors word for it. I need to start writing poetry again. And playing the piano (which hurts with the bum wrist) and scrapbooking again!!!!

Brooke said...

wow, that is awesome Karen! Looks like another great hobby that is both enjoyable to do and brings lots of joy to your kids. Keep posting these, I enjoy seeing what you've done