Monday, January 10, 2011

"And in the morning, I'm making..."

"...WAFFLES!"

Now that church starts at 11:30 instead of 8:00, we thought we would break our Sunday tradition of muffins for breakfast for something different. Lucy wanted bacon. No surprises-she wants bacon for every meal. That idea led to votes for bacon-filled waffles, which led to the viewing of the video from my last post. And THAT led to the morning zaniness which ultimately led to me rushing around like crazy to be ready for church on time. (It doesn't seem to matter what time church starts, I'm always running around like that proverbial headless chicken 15 minutes before departure.)
Under Lucy's careful scrutiny, Jason dutifully lays the bacon into her waffle. We don't go crazy like Dan and Mark- just two half pieces of bacon per waffle.
If you look carefully, you can see the bacon embedded in Lu's waffle. It might not look that appetizing, but the smell is incredible. Sorry, no smell-a-blog available yet.
Lucy covered her bacon-waffle with Nutella. Her verdict? Thumb's up.
Emily and Tyler decided to be more adventurous. They were inspired by the Sporkful video, but wanted to tweak some of Dan and Mark's ideas. Instead of large chicken fingers, we microwaved some frozen nuggets and then halved them width-wise. Emily said one of her friends made chocolate chip waffles. Undeterred by the Reese's disaster, we dug some milk chocolate chips out of the freezer and stuck them in- still frozen.
Em and Ty didn't like the bacon side as much as they thought they would. They said it wasn't "bacony" enough. Ty liked the nuggets and Emily liked the chocolate. No surprises there. I didn't like the nuggets, but I think those nuggets are nasty no matter how they are prepared. I don't feel that way about all chicken nuggets- just the ones my kids like.) But I'm with Emily, the chocolate chips were yummy.

I don't know how often we'll go through all this trouble for breakfast. We'll probably go back to muffins on Sunday mornings. But it was a fun way to start our day.

So, what crazy things do you do for breakfast?

4 comments:

Brooke said...

bacon waffles would be a hit with my husband, I'm sure. You guys make DELICIOUS food!

The Katy Daileys said...

No crazy breakfasts around here, but lots of gratitude that we don't have 8am church, either!

Harmony said...

We eat chocolate chip waffles quite often. They are even better with chopped pecans as well. We'll have to try the bacon, but I'm with you on chicken nuggets. :P My kids like pancakes with "sprinkles" in them. And we eat way too much Nutella at our house. Sounds like we might have that in common. :-)

Tara said...

You have intrigued me and now I really want a bacon waffle!!!! :) you are the breakfast queen!