Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Christmas wasn't just a day of fun- it was an entire week of fun! On Monday, we made our traditional gingerbread houses. The kids each made their own and had a great time. (For all my blogger friends and family whose houses fell apart- you got to do it from scratch. I'm a believer now.)
On Tuesday, we went to see the Nutcracker. Tyler had seen it in the 4th grade and was the most excited to go again. However, he was the only one who said he'd rather not go again. The rest of us loved it- including Randy who discovered a fear of heights from our seats in the balcony. (Sorry- no pictures.)

Wednesday was a baking and cleaning day. (Again, no pictures, but that's a good thing.)
Thursday was our Christmas Eve celebration. Santa got pie instead of cookies. I recommend that since he was verrrrry good to us this year.
My favorite new tradition this year was making- rather than buying- family gifts. Lucy made Tyler a "treasure box." (Grandma made all the kids "Snuggies." That's what they are wearing in these pictures. They love them and I'm jealous I didn't get one!)
Randy gave me a coupon book. He will try a new food, learn a new game and do extra chores. He warned me not to "waste" the coupons. I don't plan to!
Emily made Jason figures for a game. This picture doesn't do justice to all the work she did.
Tyler made Randy a rubber- band maze game.
I made Lucy a bracelet and Jason made Emily a beautiful shadowbox to show off all of her creations.
Helping the kids make their projects was a lot of extra work for me and Jason, but I think this was worth doing and I'd like to do it again next year.

We have another week off from work and school and then on to start 2010! Hope you had as wonderful a Christmas as we did.

3 comments:

Cindi said...

Again very creative - all of you. What a great tradition to start. Looks and sounds like you all had a great holiday.

Susan said...

I'll remember the pie suggestion!

Babs said...

Wow! You guys are amazing. I love that you had everyone make gifts. I hope Santa really enjoyed his pie :)