Thursday, December 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, Emily!

As shocking as it is to come to terms with Randy turning 10, and Tyler becoming a Teacher, I'm absolutely flabbergasted (such a great word) that Emily is now in Young Women's! She chose to celebrate her birthday in true teen-aged fashion. All she wanted was her best friend over for 24 hours, cash, and a trip to the mall. Teya was happy to comply with her part, and I must admit, I was happy to fulfill the rest.
A little back-ground, we were stumped as to what to give Tyler for his 14th birthday. The things he wanted- expensive stuff like a cell phone or an iPod Touch- weren't going to happen this year. So we copped out and gave him money. But we asked Emily to wrap it up for us. She started with a pretty large box...
... which got smaller and smaller. Ty had to unwrap about 12 boxes to get to his gift. He had no clue what it was, especially when the final box was teeny-tiny. It was great to watch him try to figure out what he was getting.
So Ty had to get a little revenge. I gave Emily's cash to him and he created an elaborate scavenger hunt around the house for her to find her present. They both had a good time giving and getting their birthday presents and I'm sure this tradition will continue. These two have such an amazing relationship. I've never seen a brother and sister that delight in each others' joy like Tyler and Emily. I hope that never disappears.
Emily, Teya and I got up early on a Saturday morning to start shopping. We hit two malls and Michael's- which turned into about 6 hours of shopping. Not bad. When Emily added her birthday money from us and her grandparents, as well as her allowance and money she'd earned and saved, she had over $130 to spend. She came home with about $3. Here's some of her spoils.
We had a great time. I was so glad that I got to be included in her birthday shopping fun. Emily says that she wants this to be the birthday present she gets from now on. I hope she never changes her mind!

5 comments:

Susan said...

I think Tyler and Emily's birthday wrapping/hiding is pretty great!
As the beehive advisor in our ward, I think Emily is going to be a fantastic young woman and I wish she were in my class!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

Emily is going to have such fun in Young Women's! Glad she had a fun birthday... wish my mom would have taken me shopping for my birthdays.

Unknown said...

My goodness your children are growing! I can still remember Emily in that red dress from Aunt Suzie's wedding.

You're in our prayers (hey I'm on a roll!!!) and that you get to move closer to family. It is hard to leave those friends who become your surrogate family, but nothing beats being close. Our time on this earth is so limited and I just want to squeeze out every second of joy!

Good luck & keep us posted!

k

Cindi said...

Happy Birthday Emily! That would be my choice for the best birthday as well. Add in a massage and that is the perfect day! I have to say your children are the most creative and fun coming up with those cleaver wrapping/hiding of presents.

Brooke said...

I remember you telling us about how close Tyler and Emily were back when we just had Brandon and were almost at the point where we were thinking about a sibling for him. I love how close they are - and Emily is a Beehive! How fun, she is such a beautiful girl