Friday, April 3, 2009

Baby No More

My baby is five years old!!! How did that happen?
Lucy's party was a complete success, at least in her eyes. And here's what we did right . . .

#1- I read a rule somewhere that the number of guests at a party should equal the age of the birthday child. Lucy thought of five friends she wanted to come and they were all able to make it.  That was just the right amount.
#2- One of those guests was Lucy's sister. Emily is 11 and was such a huge help to me. She was so good at choralling wandering kids and keeping them entertained.  It was almost as fun to watch Emily act as a surrogate mommy as it was to watch the birthday girl. (Notice a head behind her.  She's managing to pose for a picture and restrain a little girl at the same time.  What talent!)
#3- We splurged on the party place. Lucy wanted to go to Build-A-Bear. I felt this was justified because it was her first party, and we don't do parties for our kids every year. While I choked about the amount of money we forked over, I didn't have much to prepare for or recover from the festivities.  And my house and ear-drums stayed intact.  That's worth any price in my book.
#4- We held her party on a Tuesday night, which I don't necessarily recommend, but it turned out great.  The mall and Build-A-Bear were empty and most importantly, her cousin could come.  It was hard for Jason to leave work early, and I'm very glad he made that sacrifice.
#5- It was a girl only party.  Nothing wrong with boys.  But those girls loved being girls.  I enjoyed it because I was able to focus attention on our princess, instead of hearing "I'm bored" from her brother.  Not a very "family-together" activity, but it was very peaceful.  Her brothers gave her gifts on her actual birthday and she enjoyed having two special days.
It was fun to watch the girls pick out new stuffed friends. I think everyone had a good time. I know I did. Lucy has carried her new rabbit, Cinnamon, every where- getting her dressed in the morning and putting on her PJ's at night.
Maybe it's my imagination, but Lucy has grown up so much since her birthday.  She sleeps in her room by herself.  She has been getting dressed AND putting her clothes away (my only child who does!)  She cheerfully helps me when I ask for help.  I've been around the block a few times and I know this isn't going to last forever.  While I mourn the loss of my last baby, I'm enjoying this Big Girl who has come in her place.

8 comments:

Cindi said...

Happy Birthday Lucy! Sounds like her party and birthday were a success! Great Job! We now only do birthdays on the kids' even year birthdays. And as luck would have it, they all are even number the same year. How does that happen, when you don't (can't plan) your pregnancies and so many years apart. Oh well! Happy Birthday Lucy!

Heather (wife, mom) said...

super fun! Build-a-Bear is an awesome place too- I'm sure all the party goers will remember this one. So the people I use to nanny for took a huge party once- I mean like 20 kids!!! I remember thinking $$$$$! I think 5 (or the age of the child) is a great framework for guest.

The Bown's said...

Lynlee had so nuch fun, thanks for inviting her and letting us loser parents tag along. Billy was glad Jason was there too, he would not have been happy being the only man in Build-a-Bear.

loriwelker said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY LUCY!!!!!

Brooke said...

Why am I not surprised she chose a bunny to build? Looks like lots of fun!

Susan said...

I know it was DEFINATELY a hit with Caroline! She's showed everyone that comes over to our house her bear and has designated a specific sleeping place and blanket for him! We're thankful that Lucy (and Lucy's parents) were nice enough to arrange the date so Caroline could participate. And I ditto your praise of Emily - she was awesome all week long! Dave and I contemplated bringing her home with us!

Tara said...

I can't believe she is 5! Well actually I can cuz when I talk to her she seems about 18! :) Her party looks like fun! I have always wanted to go do a build-a-bear...forget the kids!

Castaneda 5 said...

Aww, it looks like Lucy had fun!