Monday, November 17, 2008

Stay-at-Home (?) Mom

It's crazy to be a "stay-at-home" mom that never really stays home.  Here's what happened today.
6:00-  Wake up
6:01-  Pray
6:05-  Wake up Ty
6:06-  Read scriptures.
6:11-  Shower
6:21-  Greet Lucy  (She's already up?!)
6:22-  Wake Emily; start first load of laundry
6:24-  Greet Randy (Always an early riser on "cereal" day)
6:25-  Gather remaining laundry from various baskets
6:35-  Give Ty morning drill-  "Do you have your homework, shoes, teeth brushed, taken your medicine, jacket?"
6:37-  Blow dry hair, start to apply make-up
6:44-  Start morning drill with Emily and Randy
6:55-  Say goodbye to Ty
6:58-  Finish make-up, get dressed
7:09-  Tell Randy to go get dressed.
7:10-  Feed Lucy
7:11-  Unload dishwasher
7:18-  Tell Randy the time.  Tell him to get dressed.  Again.
7:20-  Eat breakfast and watch weather 
7:25-  Yell "Randy?!  You're not dressed!  Go get dressed right now!"
7:26-  Finish breakfast.
7:27-  Brush my teeth
7:28-  Get Randy's clothes out of his drawer and hand them to him
7:29-  Threaten Randy
7:30-  Pack Randy's lunch
7:39-  Brush Lucy's teeth and get her dressed
7:46-  Yell "Randy!  We are leaving in 10 minutes!  GET DRESSED!!!!"
7:48-  Search for Lucy's shoes
7:49-  Dress Randy while muttering about nine-year-old boys
7:56-  Search for Randy's shoes.  (Where were they?  The closet!  Who would've guessed to look there?)
7:58-  Herd everyone to the van
8:00-  Drive Randy and Emily to school
8:15-  Arrive back home and put on TV show for Lucy
8:18-  Start 2nd load of laundry
8:19-  Resume search for Lucy's shoes
8:25-  Found them!  (Where were they?  Not in the closet.)
8:26-  Shod Lucy.  Comb and style her hair
8:36-  Watch "Imagination Movers" with Lucy.  Her request.  Honest.
8:46-  Drive Lucy to preschool
9:05-  Volunteer at elementary school book fair
10:45-  (15 minutes later than I signed up) Leave school
10:46-  Errand #1:  GameCrazy for Emily's gift
11:10-  Errand #2:  Petco
11:40-  Errand #3:  Hancock Fabrics
11:50-  Wait in line for Lucy
12:00-  Errand #4:  Wal-mart
1:15-  Arrive home and unload car
1:17-  Remember 1:40 appointment!!!
1:20-  Grab lunch for Lucy.  (When did she fall asleep?)
1:30-  Drive back to elementary school
1:40-  Teach Junior Achievement to Randy's 3rd grade class (my favorite part of the day)
2:30-  Drive to junior high school
2:40-  Pick up Ty and five additional teens
2:45-  Host Destination ImagiNation meeting
3:40-  Drive to elementary school (fourth time today!)
3:45-  Pick up Randy and Emily
4:00-  Drop off Randy.  Nag Ty about homework.  Pick up Lucy
4:10-  Drive to get haircuts for myself, Emily and Lucy
4:40-  Say "No Thanks" to blow-dry and style
4:50-  Say "No Thanks" to color job (even though I need it)
4:55-  Say "No Thanks" to a manicure
5:25-  Leave hair salon
5:26-  Fight traffic
5:45-  Pick up pizza at Little Caesar's
6:00-  Supper!  Ask Ty about homework
6:20-  Send kids to clean up toy room.  Put groceries away.  Wash breakfast dishes
6:45-  Give Emily birthday presents, since we'll be driving 10 hours on her birthday
7:00-  Start 5th load of laundry (I did loads #3 and 4 somewhere today)
7:10-  Finish cleaning kitchen and destruction after DI meeting.  Nag Ty about homework.
7:30-  Dress Lucy in PJ's.  Get me some four-year-old squeezin'.  Wishing for some husband squeezin' (on a business trip to the Netherlands)
7:40-  Check email.  52 messages!!!
7:50-  Prayers and brush teeth.
8:00-  Email Jason
8:17-  Blog to avoid laundry
8:30-  Make a list of the things that didn't get done today that need to be done tomorrow and other appointments:  Emily's morning announcements, brake check appointment, Katy ISD Special Ed advisory committee meeting, Primary stuff, fold laundry, bathrooms, family scriptures, lunch
8:37-  Make a list of all the things that have to be done this week:  Parent/Teacher conference, Scouts, get home in-law ready, pack, lunch.  
8:38-  Contemplate dessert

I'm not complaining.  I love my job.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I'm just wondering what I could call myself besides a "stay-at-home" mom.  Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Heather (wife, mom) said...

my problem is that right now i am a 'stay at home mom'. with these little girls and nap schedules, we don't get out too much, and i know it's going to only get worse with an infant next school year. i think you should just call yourself CEO of welker industries or something catchy like that... just an idea.

(on a side note- yesterday i did: two loads of laundry, unloaded and reloaded the dishes, cleaned the shower, took the girls for a much too long walk, made a delicious dinner, washed dinner dishes, gave jenna a bath, and went grocery shopping. yeah- this job is exhausting most days, but like you said, i wouldn't trade it for anything!)

Tara said...

You got more done in one day than I do in a week!! Where are you getting all your energy? Share some please!!
I am going to work on the name thing and get back to you! I agree whoever said "stay at home" mom mislead us all!! :)

Jim said...

Thinking of your blog title, Welker Zoo Manager/Keeper. But I like Heather's idea, Welker Zoo CEO has a nice ring. Isn't it great we have the chance to do all those things, and send the men off to "work"!! Love ya, Mom

Cindi said...

I believe we are the President/CEO of home management. It's funny, I always wanted to stay at home when I was working full time. Now that I am home and people ask me what do I do, I find myself almost shamefully saying with my head down, I am a stay at home mom. When it's not shameful at all. We are proud to be able and fortunate enough to raise our children from the home, not "HELP" the daycare or agency raise our children. So maybe our title should be "On the go at home Mom" it covers us running and staying. Your days look like mine except add in therapy too. Love ya guts Karen!

Castaneda 5 said...

I feel your pain! LOL! I always call myself a Domestic Engineer! Good luck with the to do list tomorrow!

Susan said...

This was great! I was just saying the same thing to mom yesterday and she said, "have you seen Karen's blog today?" ! And I only have one kid!!!
Maybe having Tyler recount his story of driving to school in his underwear to Randy will help the getting dressed situation(?) It's always one of my favorites! :)
Oh, and I think you should write a book about being a mom.

Anonymous said...

Domestic Engineer!