Tuesday, November 11, 2008

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Primary

My favorite Sunday, after General Conference, is the annual Primary Sacrament Program.  In my new calling, I've had the chance to attend five different programs over the last couple of weeks.  There were a few differences between each congregation- one branch had six children and a couple of wards had over 100-  but more things were exactly the same.  Waves to the parents in the audience, someone with stage-fright, someone who "projects" into the microphone, beautiful singing and of course, the sweet spirit that surrounds children.  

Because my dad was transferred often, I attended Primary in five states and two foreign countries.  As a child, I found great security knowing that we would find Primary wherever we lived that sang the same songs and taught the same gospel.  I can't honestly say that I remember any specific lesson from Primary, but the principles that were taught there guide my life today.  I still sing Primary songs when I need those gentle reminders that I am a child of God and that He hears my prayers.  While I don't remember any of my Primary teachers', presidents' or music leaders' names, I remember the testimony that they helped instill in my heart.

I know the Lord loves little children.  I feel my Savior's love when I get to serve in Primary today.  I know it is my calling to serve in Primary at this time, but I feel as if I'm the one reaping all the blessings by being surrounded by His choicest spirits.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I love the primary program too, how fun that you get to go to all of them around. It's amazing how those songs/principles we learned back then are still so applicable today

Castaneda 5 said...

You have such a beautiful testimony. We are lucky to have you serving our kids!

Susan said...

When I've served in Primary, I always felt like I was more spiritually uplifted than the children were! "Why does Sis. Martin cry when we sing 'Scripture Power'?"

Heather (wife, mom) said...

we just had the BEST program ever in our new ward. it was only like our 3rd or 4th Sunday in the ward, and it was amazing. I am like you Susan, I cry whenever the children sing. I don't think I will be able to stand it when my kids are part of 'the show'. :)